National | Drugs

Three teens hospitalised following Māngere explosion

Last night Police were called to an address on Ferguson St, Māngere east following a severe explosion which resulted in three teenagers being admitted to hospital with serious injuries.

It is said that the teens were huffing from aerosol cans and a fire started when a cigarette was lit.

Inhalant abuse, commonly known as ‘huffing,’ is a highly dangerous activity that can have serious consequences such as serious damage to the brain, organs or even death. A wide variety of substances, including common household products, are abused by inhalers.

The explosion in Māngere last night is just one example of how ‘huffing’ can have disastrous consequences.

Two girls aged 14 and 15, and a boy aged 17, are now in the hospital’s intensive care unit.